Sunday, August 9, 2009

Blessing On Your Doorpost!


On a recent visit to a new client's home I noticed a funny little brass bar affixed to the frame of her front door sash. I thought it might be a security mechanism and I took note of it because it had some writing on it and I was curious as to what it meant. I didn't ask her about it, but wished I had.
A few days latter I went to another new client's home and there it was again! A little metal bar, the size of a cigarette affixed to the doorpost of the front door. Now that I've encountered two of these in one week, it's time to find out just exactly what these little gizmo's are!

So I asked my client, she smiled and said "why that's my Mezuzah"! She went on to explain that every Jewish home displays them as a sign of their faith. And inside each of these little cylinders or bars is a small piece of parchment inscribed with the biblical passages of Deuteronomy 6:4-9 and 11:13- 21, "write them upon the doorposts of your house and on your gates". Because I had never heard of or seen a "Mezuzah" I took a picture of it and thought I'd share it with all you.

As we spend time, money and effort on our homes to make them beautiful it's also nice to stop and regard our homes as a real blessing to ourselves and to others, don't you think?

And here's wishing all of your homes a beautiful blessing;

GOD BLESS THE CORNERS OF THIS HOUSE AND BE THE LINTEL BLESSED. AND BLESS THE HEARTH AND BLESS THE BOARD AND BLESS EACH PLACE OF REST. BLESS EACH DOOR THAT OPENS WIDE TO STRANGERS AND TO KIN.AND BLESS EACH CRYSTAL WINDOWPANE THAT LETS THE SUNSHINE IN. AND BLESS THE ROOFTREE OVERHEAD AND EVERY STURDY WALL. THE PEACE OF MAN, THE PEACE OF GOD, THE PEACE OF LOVE TO ALL. Irish Home Blessing

No comments: